Cases that involve injuries suffered by a child during labor and delivery or the prenatal period are known as birth injuries. They are among the most complex and emotional types of cases that arise. We are proud to have been entrusted with such cases by parents seeking justice on behalf of their children.
If you are concerned about whether you received negligent obstetrical care, please schedule an appointment with our birth injury lawyers. We promise to take the time to listen and truly understand your case.
Types of Birth Injuries
Some of the most common types of serious birth injuries include:
- Brain damage, including the development of cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy (typically serious shoulder, neck, arm nerve damage, including paralysis)
- Organ damage
- Life-threatening infection
- Paralysis/spinal cord damage
Factors That Cause Birth Injuries
Following are some of medical malpractice factors associated with birth injuries:
- Allowing the baby to remain in the birth canal for a prolonged period of time (often the case with a delayed C-section)
- Improper use of forceps or vacuum extraction
- Failure to monitor and respond to a distressed baby
- Failure to diagnose umbilical cord problems
- Failure to treat newborn seizures
- Failure to treat a mother’s health condition, such as toxemia or infection, during pregnancy
If you believe your child suffered a birth related injury due to the negligence of a doctor or healthcare provider, please contact the experienced birth injury attorneys at Abramson & O’Connell, LLC serving Columbus, Ohio and surrounding areas.